Frequently Asked Questions

We know you have questions. That’s good.

We want you to be well informed and knowledgeable about our tours and services.

That´s why we encourage you to be curious and think about any questions you may have.

In fact, we want you to feel free to ask questions about our destinations as well.

Just click on the section below to find the answer to your question.

If you don’t find the answer you’re looking for, simply give us a call, write us an email, or reach out to us via our social media channels.

No matter on in the air, on land, or in the sea, our Fly Playa crew are local experts who are always happy to help make sure your trip is as spectacular as your flight.


All prices are in USD.

We accept down payments amounting to 30% of the total cost by credit card or PayPal. The balance is due in cash or credit card prior to boarding your flight. Please note that final payments made via PayPal incur an additional 5% fee.


We’re a local company with an international flair. As such, you can communicate with us in English, Spanish, Dutch, and German. Do you need someone to accompany you in another language? Let us know and we’ll do everything we can to accommodate you, especially for guided visits to places like Chichen Itza.

It depends. Will you be going on several decompression dives before boarding a plane? We recommend you wait 24 hours before flying. For non-decompression dives we recommend you wait 12 hours after your surface before getting on a plane. When in doubt, consult your personal physician.

Your camera is a must, no matter which tour you go on. Passports are not necessary for most airports, though it’s always good to have a copy on your phone.

For tours to Chichen Itza, Holbox or other destinations where you will combine aerial awesomeness with some on-the-ground exploration, be sure to bring the following:

  • Hat, sunglasses, and comfortable clothing
  • Swimsuit and towel if swimming is involved
  • Biodegradable sunscreen*
  • Extra money for tips, souvenirs or additional drinks (optional)

We recommend you always use biodegradable sunscreen when swimming in the Caribbean Sea or cenotes (sinkholes). Why? Because normal sunscreen has chemicals that can cause bleaching in corals. Likewise, cenotes are not independent bodies of water but rather an interconnected network of what may prove to be the world’s largest freshwater aquifer.



Our current fleet of planes can accommodate up to twelve passengers. However, arrangements can be made for larger groups. Please contact us for further information and special group rates.

All our tours are made for kids young and old! After all, it’s that feeling of wonderment, awe, and joy that brings out the kid in all of us. If your young ones are adventurous and curious at the same time, please speak with our Fly Playa crew about arranging a discovery flight! This is a sort of introductory flying lesson where your kids can begin to learn to fly an airplane from takeoff to touchdown!

Yes, we do! To be precise, we require that a pregnant woman in her 3rd (last) trimester have a doctor’s note of approval signed within 72 hours of departure.

To book a Fly Playa excursion, just fill out the contact information in the blue box located in the right-hand side column of the tour page. Once we have your information, someone from the Fly Playa crew will reach out to you with no later than 24-hours with all relevant details and answers to any questions you may have asked. We require a 30% down payment on all tours in order to ensure the availability of your airplane. The remaining 70% is due in cash or credit card prior to boarding your flight. Please note that final payments made via PayPal incur an additional 5% fee.

We recommend you book your tour to fly with us as soon as possible. We are often fully booked, especially during high season, and we definitely wouldn’t want you to miss out on those spectacular views!

All our tours operate 365 days a year. We have various departure times possible depending on the trip. And don’t forget we can create customized itineraries!

Our cancellation policy is as follows: You get a full refund of your down payment when I cancel because of weather circumstances. Likewise, you’ll also get a full refund of your down payment when you cancel by e-mail at least 48 hours prior to departure. Cancellations made less than 48 hours, as well as no-shows, will still require a full payment of the reserved excursion unless you provide us with a valid and substantiated reason (ship does not dock, family circumstances, etc.).


Should your flight be delayed or canceled due to weather, we will make every effort to reschedule. In the event rescheduling is not possible, you will receive a full refund.

Good! We like well-informed people! You can contact us via chat, WhatsApp, iMessage or social media channels or via email through our CONTACT US page.